The end is just a new beginning.

Four years ago today I was sat revising for my A Level exams. Three years ago today I was setting up cups of tea for students who were about to embark on their last few hours at Plymouth University before being released to follow their teaching dreams. Two years ago today I was having a cup of tea on the line of the Arctic circle after completing a six week placement teaching in a school in Lapland, Finland. One year ago today I was at home stressing about how on earth I was ever going to get to where I am now. Currently, I'm deciding what to wear to my leavers lecture this afternoon, an echo of three years ago however I am the one that is about to be released as a Primary teaching graduate from Plymouth University.


The Arctic Circle 
I have been wondering what to write in this blog post for a while, thank you's, my highlights, my passion for what I do, what the future may have to hold but I truly believe that even the simplicity and diversity of the events above that have followed each year on the 29th of May relate to how fantastic my teaching journey at Plymouth has been.

In September 2011 I arrived at Plymouth University, this was not planned. I planned to go to London, I planned to finish lectures then swan off to the city to get cheap theatre tickets, to spend my weekends on Oxford street - I didn't plan to live in Mutley, I didn't plan to spend 4 hours travelling back home every time I needed a visit, I didn't plan to live in Plymouth, I didn't even know there was a university, but then again I didn't plan to miss out on my first choice place in London because I was 2 UMS marks off a grade to meet my offer. Losing those 2 marks were the best thing that has ever happened to me and I would now like to shake the hand of that AQA moderator who put my ICT coursework down and sent me to the clearing page of UCAS. Thank you. I can't imagine life without Plymouth, it has been a blessing.


Beautiful Plymouth


Finland 
Nothing can compare to the last four years I have had at university, I have had so many incredible opportunities, many of which I have blogged about in the past, many of which I have not. Of course, a very big highlight within my last four years was my experience teaching in Finland, not only did I learn so much about teaching styles, methods and approaches I also learnt a lot about people, cultures and surviving -26 temperatures whilst riding a bike through snow to get to school every morning. The experience was invaluable. There have been so many amazing things I have been involved in, Plymouth Education Society being another highlight. I first got involved in first year as a member then by second year I was publicity officer for PES, during the last two years we have had such a strong team taking the society renamed as EdSoc from strength to strength, winning awards left right and centre for the work the society has done. I have been so proud to be on the committee for the last three years, with the opportunity to work with so many other educators and trainee teachers.

Although I used Twitter before I came to University, I have now discovered the huge benefits it holds in the teaching profession and as an educator. After writing my 'Why Twitter?' blog post back in 2012 I have been able to connect with even more teachers and those interested in education - I am still not sure how and why the post became so popular but I feel it sums up how I have written my blog over the last four years. Writing my own personal opinions and stories, adding even more to professional views.


Plymouth EdSoc TeachMeet 2014 #TMPlymouth
I have been lucky enough to work with some incredible lectures and educators over my time at University - I cannot thank these people enough. I thought when you got to university that there would always be too many people for you to be noticed or cared about. I was used to a small school where the teachers had very strong relationships with their pupils, it was comforting. I thought you would lose this at University, that you would just be a number, that lectures would always be too big for your voice to be heard, that your personal tutor would not even know your name. I am ashamed to have thought like that because I was so so wrong. There is no doubt that I would not be graduating with a BEd degree in Primary Teaching if it was not for the staff at Plymouth University. Although there have been many changes over my last four years, there has not been one lecturer who has not been supportive or willing to help and let you succeed. I have worked with some very special people, there is a special buzz around the education faculty at Plymouth.


Half Colours - for EdSoc 
Many have asked if I will carry on my blog whilst I start my new journey as an NQT - of course, my blog title is 'Learning to Teach', I will never stop learning to do so and therefore will carry on as long as I can. As reflected upon in '60 reasons why I'm sticking with teaching' I use my blog and PLN to ensure I continue to teach for the right intentions, for the little things, to fight those articles that bring negativity, and when I'm struggling after a hard day I can reflect on the reasons that make my job so special, the reasons why I have got to this point - and that this point is just the start.

I'm hugely excited to start my next adventure, teaching at a very exciting school in Berkshire. I'm sure I'll be blogging about it soon enough.

Thanks for all those that have followed my blog over the last four years - this is just the start!

@MegDouglasTeach


1 comments:

  1. Well done for staying the course Megan! We will all miss you here in Plymouth, but congratulations on reaching your goal of becoming a primary teacher. Now the hard work really begins! It's been an absolute pleasure to have helped you on your journey. All the best.

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Feed

Total Pageviews