Change

I have not blogged in ages. My laptop is genuinely more dusty than my books I have not used it for so long. Another change, I no longer use my laptop, it has become what once was the desktop, it sits at my desk and I barely touch it – instead I use my iPad and netbook to carry out the tasks it was once in charge of. Change. Life is constantly about change. Some like change, some crave change for a constant refresh of new excitement. Some detest change, some are unsettled and some just get on with it. 

Last spring whilst I was teaching in Finland I was invited on a residential trip. I was in the heart of Southern Finland when I bumped into a teacher who was visiting the camp with another Finnish school. I overheard him speaking in a bristolian accent – in English! Of course I had to go and speak to him after not speaking to an native English speaker in a good week. I targeted him whilst at the hot drink section in the breakfast room to this residential centre - English breakfast tea would be our connection – it worked and whilst enjoying our traditional delicacy we discussed how we had both arrived at this moment in the middle of the Finnish forest. I told him all about my teacher training and that I was carrying out my teaching placement in Finland whilst he had moved over here 8 years to marry his Finnish wife– he left me with a question which I have been pondering over since. He asked with a straight face and with full compassion why exactly I would want to train and then teach in the UK? Why would I want to teach in a country where politics has ruined the system? Why would I want to be that controlled? Why would I want constant change?

From the very beginning of my teacher training course I remember being told that if you cannot deal with change then this profession was not for you. That comment and view has always stuck with me. In a sense I believe it is correct, education is constantly changing and teachers must be versatile to changes like this. But should we always expect this? And what if the changes are not just ‘changes’, what if they are in fact upheavals – yet we are of course always expected to comply. I have been thinking about this for a while after a number of changes in my once ‘planned path’ were changed and I questioned whether I was indeed 'right' for the profession, I put this out to Twitter and got a response that I believe really hit the nail on the head.




It made me realise that change can make one quite selfish, people think about how change will affect them, easily forgetting the overall result and benefits to others. The majority of the time change occurs because something needs to be improved so Jo (@MrsPTeach) realises that the changes she has to follow are to better her children and class and they are why she is motivated and inspired.  

I have thought about it, change is good. Change is just the next challenge. If I have learnt anything over 2013 it is that life is very fast and a lot can happen, and for someone like me I need that challenge, I need the challenge to motivate and inspire and to learn and gain those things back. 

So this is my pledge and new years resolution, to embrace change.

I welcome any views and comments regarding this topic. Please feel free to comment below or contact me on Twitter (@MegDouglasTeach). I will be at the BETT show in London on Friday 24th January - if you are there say hi!

BETT SHOW 2014 - http://www.bettshow.com/



1 comments:

  1. If you're an open mind about what will the best, you can use 1WS for your academic needs.

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Feed

Total Pageviews